The Walgreens and University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Community-based Pharmacy Residency Program delivers postgraduate training to pharmacists so that they can provide compassionate patient care for the members of their community, achieve their professional goals, become a leader within the profession, and contribute to the Walgreens Company’s advancements in health care. A graduate from this residency program would have matured in their clinical experience and skills to provide and manage the patient care services conducted within a specialty pharmacy location or at traditional community pharmacy practice site.
The residency program is based out of three community specialty pharmacy locations in Chicago. These specialty pharmacy locations offer a variety of innovative clinical pharmacy services for the patients who are prescribed complex therapies such as HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, oncology, and transplant. The pharmacists at these sites work closely with medical staff to provide optimal drug therapy for patients. The resident gains insight on management issues that can affect the implementation of patient care services in the community pharmacy setting.
The residency is offered in partnership with the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy. This partnership allows the resident the opportunity to gain experiences in the delivery of clinical pharmacy services in ambulatory care clinics. The resident actively participates in teaching and precepting experiences at the College. Residency Activities
The resident will participate in the provision of patient-care services through the following:
- Development of health and wellness programs
- Disease state management programs in oncology, transplant, hepatitis C, chronic inflammatory diseases, and HIV/AIDS
- Multidiscipline primary care for persons living with HIV/AIDS
- Ambulatory care clinic rotations
- Medication therapy management
- Pharmacist-administered immunizations
- Community outreach programs
The resident will participate in the following activities that strengthen practice management and educator skills:
- Design and conduct a practice-based research project
- Present research findings at regional and national professional meetings
- Development of clinical pharmacy services
- Provide clinical instruction to student pharmacists at the College and pharmacy